We did the Première Manche - the first round - of A Travers riding across France from Dieppe to Marseille in the summer of 2009, and it was the original inspiration for this blog. The plan to put the 'band back together again' for another go in 2013 for the second installment fell on stoney ground, with life just getting in the way for too many of us, much to our disappointment. However, our enthusiasm for the bike remains undimmed, and so I'll keep posting my thoughts on the diverse and beautiful facets of the sport regardless. But there's bound to be another big 'adventure ride' coming soon - quite possibly in Italy - so potentially a name change too: Attraverso l'Italia in Bicicletta anyone?



Wednesday 25 February 2009

ASPTT Aix-en-Provence


On Stage 6 of the ride from Carombe, over the Ventoux and down to Marseille, we'll be riding past some of my old 'stomping' - that Yatesism again - ground from 1987/88 when I was a member of the ASPTT Aix-en-Provence.

I think it's an ideal opportunity to get in touch with Régis Roqueta - still the DS of the team - and see if we can't all meet up for a group hug. I'm really keen to see if any of my fellow Cat 3/4 riders are still around - Gerard Dosetto, Jean Barbero, Bruno Cargnelutti, Alain St Martin and the Egio brothers.

Above is a pic of me (second from the right, blue Pinarello Treviso, trying so hard to look like a pro), Alain with a very friendly arm around me, James Schlultz (an American student doing a similar thing to me - he's the man-bear in the Rudy Projects in the middle) and the Egios outside Avignon's city walls before the start of the Bi-Énergie Two-Day race in 1988. Like most of my races there I have very little idea of the result, just vague memories of chewing on my handlebar stem for a few unpleasant hours. The standard in France really took me by surprise.

The club seems to also have an additional site here too, so with luck I'll be able to get in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - it's appreciated.