- 11th July, Menesqueville: AU RELAIS DE LA LIEURE. Owners not back until 04.04.2009. Expect a response to my email then, or will phone.
- 12th July, Chartres (Voves): LE QUAI FLEURI. There's a 16:00 cut-off before the hotel 'closes', otherwise we get involved in complicated keys-in-flowerpot behaviour. The restaurant is also closed on Sunday, so we've more than likely got to go back into Chartres - 20km away - in order to eat. This scenario is worrying me.
- 13th July, Bourges (Fussy): L'ECHALIER. All booked. The owner Catherine lived in Oz for 25 years as well as in England, so it'll be a welcome night-off for me on the translation front.
- 14th July: Clermont Ferrand (Orcines): LES HIRONDELLES. All booked. Bastille Day, so let's hope there's some action in town; perhaps a guillotining or two ...
- 15th July, Le Puy-en-Velay (Laussonne): LE CLAIR LOGIS. No space, so need to look at an alternative this weekend. The Hotel Hermitage looks promising.
- 16th July, Caromb: LA MIRANDE. Reception tell me that the owner couldn't confirm because he's in hospital: a recent knee operation he had got infected, and had to be re-opened. Amazing the level of detail people are prepared to go into.
- 17th July: Still need to sort one out for the final night. Hopefully one with really, really comfortable beds, and not right next to the airport.
Commentary: Five Tour of California takeaways
4 hours ago